Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Hunger Games Trilogy, Books 1-3

Title: The Hunger Games - Book 1
Series: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication: October 1, 2008

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


Ashley's Review:


The Hunger Games trilogy is absolutely amazing!! It is by far the best series I have ever read and what I will use as a stature to rate every book I read from now on. It is thrilling and emotional from the first page until the last! It is by far one of the best series I have ever experienced. It’s also the most unpredictable story line I have ever read. Throughout the entire series I found myself guessing what would happen next and what I hoped happened. I was wrong every time!! Suzanne Collins left me with surprise after surprise with each page I have read. There was no disappointment at all when things did not turn out as I had guessed. She was able to bring everything to a whole new level beyond what I could have even expected!!

I seriously have never cried so much because I loved the characters so much. You can’t help, but feel emotionally attached to Katniss and Peeta throughout each book. Not only do you feel connected with them, but also with their families and friends. Throughout the entire journey, you feel like you are right there with Katniss experiencing everything firsthand. From her past to her present, it’s as if you have known Katniss her entire life. She is so selfless, always looking out for everyone else’s best interest. She is a so strong and would do anything for her loved ones at any given time. Peeta is one of the sweetest, genuine characters I have ever read about. From the moment he first saw Katniss he was willing to do anything and everything for her, no matter the situation.

This series had me hooked! Each book is a “sit down where you are at and not get up until you are finished” kind of book. I could have sat and read all 3 books in a row without sleeping or eating if I wouldn’t turn into a zombie. The storyline itself is unlike anything I have ever read. It is almost like what will happen if reality TV is taken to an all new level with destruction involved. There are certain aspects of the games itself that remind me a weird mixture of American Idol, The Truman Show and Idiocracy meets the novel Lord of the Flies. I know you see that example and think what?! I don’t think I would be interested in that at all. I had a friend describe the series to me and I was definitely on the fence after reading the synopsis. I would have serious regret if I had never read it. If I had 2 words to describe this series, I would say Hunger Games is EPIC AND AMAZING!!! I would re-read this series a million times and probably will. I am not sure if anything can top how this series made me feel! This series is beyond a 5 star rating!


Amber's Review:


The Hunger Games is the type of trilogy that requires a genre all its own. It's a mold breaker. By far, these books have had more impact on me than anything I have ever read before. The story of Katniss and Peeta and the other district residents is beyond touching and entertaining. Really, there are no words to describe the enormity of what you will find on these pages.

Collins amazed me with her ability to drill straight to my heart from the very beginning. You are immediately drawn to the characters, attached to them as if you actually know them, as if your love for them is real. The dystopian world  she created for her characters is so believable it's scary. It's one of those situations where you think Wow, this could really happen. This could actually be a possible future for us if we are not careful! And that is terrifying. There is so much more than an entertainment value in these books. There's a message. There's a warning, and that is just one reason these books will stay with me forever.

The events that take place in this story envoke such strong emotions in me. I was completely lost in it. I consumed all three books in as many days, and I felt a terrible loss once they were over. I felt myself wanting to fight for the characters, feeling angry and protective when they were hurt, happy and excited when they were comforted, devastated and heartbroken when some were lost. I cried for them, and laughed with them and even jumped up and down and shouted in triumph. It was definitley an experience I will never forget.

I will never forget the Boy with the Bread; the genuine concern and care Peeta feels for Katniss is touching. He would lay down his life for her without a second thought. I will never forget the Girl on Fire; Katniss has the strength and determination of no one I have ever known. She sticks up for what she believes in. She protects the ones she loves no matter the cost. And I will never, ever forget the story of the Hunger Games, the Tributes, the Districts and the battle they partake in to win their freedom and the right to protect their children from a gruesome fate.

Five stars are just not enough to represent the perfectness of this story! I highly, highly recommend this trilogy to everyone from YA to adult. I think it has an important message for everyone and is an unbelievably beautiful read that I wish I could experience over and over again for the first time.

4 comments:

Natalie Frampton said...

I still have this series to read as well. I'm reading the Gone series by Michael Grant at the moment which is good too.

Amber said...

Oh you should definitely read them! They seriously are amazing! I have the Gone series on my tbr list, so I will be reading those soon!

Ashniss said...

Nat you have to read this series! Seriously my favorite series ever.

Netherland said...

Grabs your attention. Kind of reminds me of the triwizard tournament in Harry Potter- just not as wordy, than goodness. I enjoyed this book, and couldn't put it down until I got to the end. Highly recommend!