Thursday, March 24, 2011

Misguided Angel, Book 5

Title: Misguided Angel- Book 5
Series: Blue Bloods
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Publication: October 26, 2010

After inheriting the dark Van Alen Legacy, Schuyler fled to Florence with her forbidden love, Jack. Now the two of them must embark on the mission Schuyler was destined to complete: to find and protect the five remaining gates that guard the earth from Lucifer, lord of the Silver Bloods.

Back in New York, Mimi has been elected Regent of a crumbling coven. Struggling with her heartache over the loss of Kingsley and with her overwhelming desire to destroy Jack, she must focus all of her energy on a perilous new threat. Vampires are being abducted and their captors are planning to burn them alive online…for all the world to see. Help arrives in the form of Deming Chen, a Venator from Shanghai, who must untangle the web of deceptions before the killers strike again.

As the young vampires struggle for the survival of the coven, they uncover a deadly secret, a truth first discovered by Schuyler’s mother during the Renaissance but kept buried for centuries. And as the Blue Blood enclave weakens yet further, fate leads Schuyler to a terrible choice that will ultimately map the destiny of her heart.


Ashley's Review:



I had good expectations for Misguided Angel considering the other books in the Blue Bloods series were entertaining. They were very likeable. Blue Bloods gave me the feeling of Gossip Girl with vampires. I was very disappointed with the 5th book. There were parts here and there that were pretty good, but overall it was just not a very good book. Throughout the previous books in the series you get to to know the characters; Schuyler, Jack, Mimi, Oliver and Bliss. You grow to love and hate certain characters, but overall you want to read more about them regardless of your feelings. They experience a number of struggles throughout the series; from learning who they were and who they are now, fighting off the occasional villain, love, and death. No matter what the situation, each character is forced to make decisions that will not only affect themselves, but their loved ones as well.

Unfortunately, the 5th installment makes you rethink if the series was even good in the first place. Then you think, No I did really like them, this one was just completely random! The book itself did not even make sense from the beginning to the end. It felt as if it was thrown together with no real idea behind it, besides, “Let’s get this thing published and make some more cash.” It makes me question even considering to read the future installments by this author or any of her additional work.

New characters are announced in this book, which is normally fine. A couple of old characters are in the initial first few chapters then brought back up gain towards the very end of the book. It seemed as if she was trying to wrap the beginning experiences in with the new characters, but overall it just didn’t work out that way. It gave me the vibe of watching a tv show you have loved for years, then all of the characters leave the show with new characters brought on as replacements. The new characters are dealing with their own issues, but continue to bring the old beloved characters up to keep you interested.

The last 70 pages are where I thought Okay this is finally getting interesting. This is after I finally had a connection with the new added characters. By the time I finished that 70 pages, I felt I just wasted hours of my life that I would never get back. I was seriously saying, Uuuhhh are you kidding me? This is it?!! It reminded me of a spin off within the same series.

After reading The Van Alen Legacy, I could not wait to see what Melissa de la Cruz would bring in Misguided Angel; I experienced complete disappointment. If I were to do it over again, I would never have read Misguided Angel.

No comments: